RD900 / 900IW130 NEOPUFF™ INFANT T-PIECE RESUSCITATOR
Steps to Optimal Resuscitation
The following procedure should be carried out prior to every use of
the Neopuff to ensure that the device is functioning correctly.
1 Check manometer reads zero with no gas flow. If not, the manometer
requires calibration (refer to section 3.3.4 of the Technical manual).
2 Connect gas supply: Connect an oxygen or blended oxygen/air supply
to gas inlet port using gas supply line.
3 Connect patient supply line:
a) connect patient supply line and patient T-piece to the gas outlet port.
b) connect test lung to patient T-piece (before use, inspect test lung for
signs of damage such as discolor
4 Check Settings
a) Adjust gas supply to desired flowrate between 5 and 15 LPM.
To check Maximum Pressure:
b) Occlude PEEP1 cap and turn PIP2 control fully clockwise.
c) Adjust maximum pressure control knob clockwise or counterclockwise to set desired maximum pressure.
To set PIP:
d) While still occluding the PEEP cap, turn PIP control knob
counter-clockwise until the desired peak inspiratory pressure is set.
To set PEEP:
e) Adjust PEEP cap to the desired PEEP level.
5 Turn off gas supply and remove test lung from patient T-piece.
Ensure that the rigid plastic connector of the test lung is also removed
from the T-piece before attempting to connect a mask or endotracheal
tube. Failing to do so may cause unacceptable delays during patient
1. Positive End Expiratory Pressure 2. Peak Inspiratory Pressure
MANUFACTURER Fisher & Paykel Healthcare Limited, 15 Maurice Paykel Place, East Tamaki, Auckland 2013; P O Box 14 348, Panmure, Auckland 1741, New Zealand Tel: +64 9 574 0100 Fax: +64 9 574 0158 Email: email@example.com Web Site: www.fphcare.com
AUSTRALIA Tel:+61 3 9879 5022 Fax:+61 3 9879 5232 AUSTRIA Tel: 0800 29 31 23 Fax: 0800 29 31 22 BENELUX Tel:+31 40 216 3555 Fax:+31 40 216 3554 CHINA Tel:+86 20 3205 3486 Fax:+86 20 3205 2132 FRANCE Tel:+33 1 6446 5201 Fax:+33 1 6446 5221
GERMANY Tel:+49 7182 93777 0 Fax:+49 7182 93777 99 INDIA Tel:+91 80 4123 6041 Fax:+91 80 4123 6044 IRISH REPUBLIC Tel: 1800 409 011 ITALY Tel:+39 06 7839 2939 Fax:+39 06 7814 7709 JAPAN Tel:+81 3 3661 7205 Fax:+81 3 3661 7206
NORTHERN IRELAND Tel: 0800 132 189 SPAIN Tel:+34 902 013 346 Fax:+34 902 013 379 SWEDEN Tel: +46 8 564 76 680 Fax: +46 8 36 63 10 SWITZERLAND Tel: 0800 83 47 63 Fax: 0800 83 47 54 UK (EU Authorised Representative)
Fisher & Paykel Healthcare Ltd, Unit 16, Cordwallis Park, Clivemont Road, Maidenhead, Berkshire SL6 7BU, United Kingdom Tel:+44 1628 626 136 Fax:+44 1628 626 146 USA Tel: +1 800 446 3908 or +1 949 453 4000 Fax:+1 949 453 4001
Steps to Optimal Resuscitation
a Adjust gas supply to the desired flowrate.
b Fit patient T-piece to neonatal resuscitation
mask and place over the baby’s mouth and/or
Fit patient T-piece to the endotracheal tube.
c Resuscitate by placing and removing thumb
over the PEEP1 cap to allow inspiration and
1. Positive End Expiratory Pressure.
RD900/900IW130 NEOPUFF™ INFANT T-PIECE RESUSCITATOR OPERATING INSTRUCTIONS
The Fisher & Paykel Neopuff™ infant resuscitator is an easy to use manually operated, gas powered
resuscitator which provides controlled and accurate resuscitation of newborn babies in delivery suites,
nurseries and neonatal intensive care units.
Consult Accompanying Documents
A WARNING statement refers to the conditions when the possibility of injury to the
patient or user exists if a procedure is not followed correctly.
A Note statement provides additional information intended to clarify points, procedures or
• Please read and understand the instructions fully before using the Neopuff™ infant resuscitator and related
accessories. The Neopuff™ infant resuscitator is to be used only by persons trained in infant resuscitation.
• It is the responsibility of the purchaser to ensure that all users of this device have been adequately trained
in resuscitation techniques.
• The Neopuff ™ resuscitator must only be used after checking that correct pressures will be delivered to the
• Ensure no smoking, naked ﬂames or sources of ignition are present while the unit is in use.
• For connection to ﬂow regulated oxygen or oxygen/air mixture only.
• Recommended operating gas ﬂow range is 5 to 15 L/min.
Do not attempt to use a higher ﬂow than 15 L/min.
• The Maximum Pressure Relief can be adjusted up to a nominal 80 cmH2O(mbar),
and should only be done in exceptional circumstances by persons trained in infant resuscitation.
Do not attempt to set the Maximum Pressure Relief above 80 cmH2O(mbar).
• Use only a Fisher & Paykel patient T-piece.
• Use only a Fisher & Paykel Gas Supply Line or approved equivalent.
• Ensure all oxygen and air supplies are turned off and disconnected from the Neopuff ™ before performing
cleaning procedures. Explosion and ﬁre hazards can exist when performing cleaning procedures in an
• The black test lung contains natural rubber latex which may cause allergic reactions.
• US Federal law restricts this device to sale in the USA by or on the order of a physician.
• Ensure the oxygen concentration of an oxygen / air supply is either monitored using an oxygen analyzer, or
preset using oxygen/air ﬂow rate graphs.
• The factory setting of the Maximum Pressure Relief is 40 cm H2O/mbar.
• The Maximum Pressure Relief valve acts as an overall limit on the achievable circuit pressure. Resuscitation
above 40 cm H2O/mbar cannot be achieved unless the Maximum Pressure Relief valve is adjusted.
• The Neopuff™ infant resuscitator can be used with either reusable or single-use patient supply lines.
• Single-use patient supply lines can eliminate the possibility of cross-patient infection without requiring timeconsuming and expensive cleaning and sterilization procedures.
CLEANING AND SERVICING
• Clean external surfaces of the Neopuff™ infant resuscitator and
Gas Supply line using a damp cloth and mild soapy water or
• Dry all surfaces after cleaning with a clean soft cloth or paper
• The Neopuff should require minimal servicing or maintenance
when used under normal conditions.
• For more information on cleaning and maintenance of the
Neopuff™ infant resuscitator, Test Lung and other Accessories
please refer to the Technical Manual (REF 185041597).
Recommended body weight
Up to 10 kg
-20 to 80 cmH2O(mbar)
Peak Inspiratory Pressure
@ 8 L/min 2 to 73cm H2O/mbar
@10 L/min 2 to 80cm H2O/mbar
If the gas ﬂow rate increases from 5 to
15 L/min, peak inspiratory pressure typically
increases approximately 8 cm H2O/mbar
Gas inlet flow range
(400 litre cylinder):
@ 5 L/min 1 to 5 cm H2O/mbar
@ 8 L/min 1 to 9 cm H2O/mbar
@ 10 L/min2 to 15 cm H2O/mbar
@ 15 L/min 3 to 25 cm H2O/mbar
5LPM (min) to 15LPM (max)
*Typical value based on a gas flow rate
REF 185041726 Rev G 2009-03 en