MR850 Respiratory Humidifier Instructions Sheet Rev D Oct 2019.pdf
MR850 RESPIRATORY HUMIDIFIER
Warning – Hot surface
Type BF Applied
vertical falling drips
handle with care
This way up
Date of manufacture
Transportation & storage Transportation & storage
Symbols applicable to specific model only
Applicable to MR850Axx, except MR850ANZ
Conforms with medical
in the European
Applicable to MR850Axx,
Applicable to MR850ANZ
Dispose of product in
MR850 is a trademark of Fisher & Paykel Healthcare Ltd.
– DO NOT DISCARD
Rev D 2019-10
The MR850 respiratory humidifier is used to warm and humidify
gases delivered to patients requiring mechanical ventilation, positive
pressure breathing assistance, or other medical gases.
ATTENTION: This product is intended for use by trained medical personnel only.
Manufacturer Fisher & Paykel Healthcare Ltd, 15 Maurice Paykel Place, East Tamaki, Auckland 2013, PO Box 14 348, Panmure, Auckland 1741, New Zealand Tel: +64 9 574 0100
Fax: +64 9 574 0158 Email: email@example.com Web: www.fphcare.com Importer/ Distributor Australia (Sponsor) Fisher & Paykel Healthcare Pty Ltd, 19-31 King Street, Nunawading, Melbourne,
Victoria 3131. Tel: +61 3 9871 4900 Fax: +61 3 9871 4998 Austria Tel: 0800 29 31 23 Fax: 0800 29 31 22 Benelux Tel: +31 40 216 3555 Fax: +31 40 216 3554
Brazil Fisher & Paykel do Brasil, Rua Sampaio Viana, 277 cj 21, Paraíso, 04004-000, São Paulo – SP, Brazil Tel: +55 11 2548 7002 China 代理人/售后服务机构:
费雪派克医疗保健（广州）有限公司, 广州高新技术产业开发区科学城科丰路 31 号 G12 栋 301 号 电话: +86 20 32053486 传真: +86 20 32052132 Denmark
Tel: +45 70 26 37 70 Fax: +46 83 66 310 Finland Tel: +358 94 1590 355 Fax: +46 83 66 310 France
Fisher & Paykel Healthcare SAS, 10 Av. du Québec, Bât. F5, BP 512, Villebon‑sur‑Yvette,
91946 Courtaboeuf Cedex, France Tel: +33 1 6446 5201 Fax: +33 1 6446 5221 Email: firstname.lastname@example.org Germany Fisher & Paykel Healthcare GmbH & Co. KG, Deutschland, Österreich, Schweiz,
Wiesenstrasse 49, D 73614 Schorndorf, Germany Tel: +49 7181 98599 0 Fax: +49 7181 98599 66 Hong Kong Tel: +852 2116 0032 Fax: +852 2116 0085 India Tel: +91 80 2309 6400 Ireland Tel:
1800 409 011 Fax: +44 1628 626 146 Italy Tel: +39 06 7839 2939 Fax: +39 06 7814 7709 Japan Tel: +81 3 5117 7110 Fax: +81 3 5117 7115 Korea Tel: +82 2 6205 6900
Fax: +82 2 6309 6901 Norway Tel: +47 21 60 13 53 Fax: +47 22 99 60 10 Russia Tel. and Fax: +7 495 782 21 50 Spain Tel: +34 902 013 346 Fax: +34 902 013 379 Sweden Tel: +46 8 564 76 680 Fax:
+46 8 36 63 10 Switzerland Tel: 0800 83 47 63 Fax: 0800 83 47 54 Taiwan Tel: +886 2 8751 1739 Fax: +886 2 8751 5625 Turkey İthalatçı Firma: Fisher Paykel Sağlık Ürünleri Ticaret Limited
Şirketi, İletişim Bilgileri: Ostim Mahallesi 1249. Cadde No:6, Yenimahalle, Ankara, Türkiye 06374, Tel: +90 312 354 34 12 Fax: +90 312 354 31 01 UK Fisher & Paykel Healthcare Ltd, Unit 16,
Cordwallis Park, Clivemont Road, Maidenhead, Berkshire SL6 7BU, UK Tel: 0800 132 189 Fax: +44 1628 626 146 USA/Canada Tel: 1800 446 3908 or +1 949 453 4000 Fax: +1 949 453
• The use of breathing circuits, chambers, other accessories or parts which are not approved by
Fisher & Paykel Healthcare may impair performance or compromise safety.
• Use of damaged components or accessories may impair the performance of this device or compromise
The device complies with the electromagnetic compatibility requirements of IEC60601-1-2. Users should
install and use according to the electromagnetic compatibility information in MR850 Technical Manual.
Essential performance may be lost in the event of power failure or where the intensity of electromagnetic
disturbance is high.
• When mounting a humidifier adjacent to a patient ensure that the humidifier is always securely mounted
and positioned lower than the patient.
• Do not use this device without gas flow. If gas flow is interrupted, turn the humidifier off.
• Gas mixes, such as helium-oxygen mixtures, that have different physical or thermal properties from an air
or air-oxygen mixture may impair performance or compromise safety.
• This device is not suitable for delivery of flammable anaesthetic mixes or nitrous oxide.
• Remove any sources of ignition, such as cigarettes, an open flame, or materials which burn or ignite easily
at high oxygen concentrations.
• Covering breathing tubes with a blanket or heating them in an incubator or with an overhead heater can
affect the quality of the therapy or injure the patient.
• Hot surfaces may exceed 74 °C; avoid touching these.
• Do not fill the chamber with water in excess of 37 °C.
• Do not touch the glass tip of the Chamber Probe during use. It may cause a skin burn.
• To avoid the risk of electric shock, this equipment must only be connected to a supply mains with protective
• Ensure that Invasive Mode is set for patients who have bypassed airways.
• Ensure that both Temperature Probe sensors are correctly and securely fitted. Failure to do so may result
in gas temperatures in excess of 41 °C being delivered to the patient.
• Do not use the humidifier at an altitude above 3000 m (700 hPa) or outside a temperature of 18 - 26 °C.
Using the humidifier above this altitude or outside of this temperature range can affect the quality of the
therapy or injure the patient.
• Ensure appropriate ventilator and/or patient monitor alarms are set, connections are tight and a leak test
is completed before use.
• To prevent disconnection of the tubing or tubing system during use, only tubes in compliance with ISO 5367
should be used.
• No modification of equipment or replacement of individual components is allowed.
• Do not position the humidifier so that it is difficult to disconnect the mains plug.
• This device must not be used in a flammable or explosive environment.
• Use USP sterile water or equivalent for humidification. Adding other substances to the water can have
The device is intended to be used in a professional healthcare facility environment e.g. hospitals,
except for areas where the intensity of electromagnetic disturbances is high, e.g. near active highfrequency surgical equipment, rooms used for magnetic resonance imaging, electrophysiology
laboratories, or areas where short-wave therapy equipment is used.
The device or system should not be used adjacent to or stacked with other equipment. If adjacent or
stacked use is necessary, the device or system should be observed to verify normal operation in the
configuration in which it will be used.
Use of accessories, transducers, cables and spare parts other than those specified by Fisher & Paykel
Healthcare could cause increased electromagnetic emissions or decreased electromagnetic immunity
of the device or system resulting in improper operation.
Portable radio frequency communications equipment (including peripherals such as antenna cables
and external antennas) should be used no closer than 30 cm (12 inches) to any part of the MR850
humidifier, including cables specified by the manufacturer. Otherwise, degradation of the performance
of this equipment could result.
Low Temperature Alarm
High Temperature Alarm
Warns if the displayed temperature falls
below a predetermined performance
threshold for a predetermined time.
Alarm activation is dependent on the length of time
the displayed temperature is below 35.5 °C (may
take up to 60 minutes to alarm). Alarm can be
caused by many factors such as cold and/or
draughty ambient conditions or very high or low gas
Warns if the displayed
predetermined safety thresholds.
The humidifier alarms immediately with a
flashing temperature display showing 41 °C or
The humidifier will discontinue heating of the
chamber and circuit until the temperatures return
within safety thresholds.
• Under cold or draughty conditions the chamber temperature may drop as low as 35.5 °C in order to
minimize condensation forming in the breathing circuit.
• All alarms have been assessed as “Medium Priority” alarm.
• The alarm conditions are specified for an operator’s position of within 1 metre of the device.
140 mm x 173 mm x 135 mm (without chamber fitted)
2.8 kg (without chamber fitted)
3.1 kg (chamber fitted and filled with water)
230 V~, 50/60 Hz
22 V~, 2.73 A, 60 W
Delivery of specified humidification output or generation of an alarm
(refer to Breathing Circuit User Instructions for specific range):
Chamber Outlet Control Temperature Range:
TRANSPORTATION AND STORAGE CONDITIONS
-10 to 50 °C
10% to 95% RH
Date of manufacture:
Airway Control Temperature Range:
Refer to product label
Humidifier: Using a damp cloth, clean the MR850 humidifier with either of the following – Isopropyl Alcoho
or normal dishwashing detergent.
Accessories: Refer to user instructions which accompany each accessory for cleaning guidelines.
• Do not immerse the humidifier or accessory electrical connectors in any liquid.
At the end of service life, discard according to standard hospital procedure for electrical and electronic
Refer to qualified service personnel. A full technical description including routine maintenance and service
data is contained in the MR850 Technical Manual.
≥ 33 mg/L
≥ 10 mg/L
≤ 60 L/min
≤ 120 L/min
35.5 - 42 °C
31 - 36 °C
35 - 40 °C
28 - 34 °C
< 30 minutes
< 30 minutes
Recommended Environmental Conditions for
Temperature Display Range:
10 – 70 °C
Gas Temperature Measurement Accuracy:
± 2 °C
(Temperature Probe Accuracy: ± 0.3 °C, in 25 – 45 °C range)
Refer to MR850 Technical Manual
Sound Pressure Level:
> 50 dBA at 1 m
Single beep or double beep
Maximum Operating Pressure:
Refer to chamber and breathing circuit specifications
Type of Protection Against Ingress of Water:
Degree of Protection Against Electric Shock:
18 - 26 °C
10 - 95% RH
700 - 1060 hPa
(Available from your local Fisher and Paykel Healthcare
(if used in accordance with this User Instruction)
Class I, continuous
Type BF applied part
• (A) Humidification Chamber
• (B) Breathing Circuit
• (C,D,E) Temperature Probe
• (F,G,H) Heater-wire Adapter
• Mounting Bracket
The humidifier will turn ON if this
button is held down briefly. The
humidifier will always default to
Invasive Mode when it is turned
The button must be held down
for more than 1 second to turn
the humidifier OFF. Remove
mains plug to completely isolate
power from this device.
The mute button silences the
humidifier’s alarm for 2 minutes.
This displays the saturated gas
temperature (the lower of the airway
and chamber temperatures in °C)
delivered to the patient. This display
will normally show the chamber
temperature (around 37 °C for
Invasive Mode, and 31 °C for
By pushing and holding the mute
button for 1 second, the chamber
outlet temperature then the airway
temperature is displayed. The display
will then revert to normal operation.
This button switches between
Invasive and Noninvasive Mode.
Mode selection is shown with a
Invasive Mode for
patients with bypassed
The system delivers gas as
close to body temperature
saturated (37 °C, 44 mg/L) as
for patients receiving
face mask or head-box
The system delivers a
comfortable level of humidity.
Accessory choice will depend upon application.
Please contact your local Fisher & Paykel Healthcare representative for recommendations.
ATTENTION: Refer to user instructions which accompany each accessory.
MOUNTING: The humidifier can either be placed on a flat stable surface or mounted to a ventilator,
pole stand or medical equipment rail with an approved mounting bracket. The system must
be installed according to EMC information in MR850 Technical Manual.
1. Visually inspect Humidifier (I) and accessories for damage before use and replace if damaged.
2. Slide Humidification Chamber (A) onto Humidifier (I) and connect Breathing Circuit (B) (refer to
Humidification Chamber and Breathing Circuit User Instructions for further details).
3. Insert the Temperature Probe Connector (C) to the blue socket on the Humidifier.
4. Push the Chamber Probe (D) and Airway Probe (E) into the Breathing Circuit making sure they are
correctly located and pushed into place. The probe lead can be restrained using Breathing Circuit Clips.
5. Insert the Heater-wire Adapter Connector (F) to the yellow socket on the Humidifier.
The humidifier and all
accessories should be replaced
immediately and sent for
Chamber and Airway Probes
Informs if either the Chamber
Probe or the Airway Probe is not
inserted into the breathing circuit
(may take up to 15 minutes to
Informs if the Temperature
Probe has not been connected,
or is faulty.
Determines when there is
insufficient water in the chamber,
by measuring gas flow and the
amount of power used to
maintain the chamber outlet
temperature (may take up to
20 minutes to alarm).
6. Connect the other end(s) of the Heater-wire Adapter to the Breathing Circuit socket(s) (G), (H).
The humidification system is now set up.
7. Turn on with On/Off button and the humidifier will default to Invasive Mode. After turning on the
humidifier look at the display and alarm indicators to visually confirm they turn on then off. Also listen
for an audible tone to confirm the sounder is functioning correctly. If a fault is detected, send for
The humidification system is now ready for use.
Informs if the Heater-wire Adapter
or breathing circuit has not been
connected, or is faulty.