Before operating the Prismatherm II Blood Warmer, carefully read the Prismatherm II
Blood Warmer Operator's Manual and the Prismatherm II Extension Line Instruction
for Use. This Instruction for Use is not intended to replace the operator's manual.
Use only Prismatherm II Extension Lines with the Prismatherm II Blood Warmer.
Use aseptic technique when handling the connections to the extension line.
Load Extension Line
1. Follow the on-line instructions from the first screen through the Prepare Solutions screen.
2. Place the Prismatherm II Blood Warmer in the LOAD position.
3. Open and remove the thermal sleeve from the blood warmer.
4. Open the extension line package, setting the end caps aside for use later.
5. Keeping the extension line coiled, start with the end of the line marked with blue tape,
pushing the tubing under the tubing holder, and work from the front of the blood warmer
to the back of the blood warmer.
6. Load the tubing in a clockwise direction. Ensure that the tubing is firmly seated in
each groove before continuing the loading process.
7. Secure the end of the tubing after loading is completed in the rear tubing holder.
8. Place the thermal sleeve back on the heat exchanger.
9. Place the Blood Warmer in the Operating Position.
Connect Extension line to PRISMA Set
1. Locate the pair of sterile end caps provided with the Prismatherm II Extension Line.
Separate the caps from each other; discard the male cap. Hold the female care in your
2. Separate the blood warmer connectors on the PRISMA Set return line; cap the male end
of the return line with the female end cap.
3. Uncap the inlet end of the extension line (rear of blood warmer) and join it to the female
return line connector.
4. Remove the lower return line and the extension line (front of the blood warmer) from
their tubing holders. Uncap both lines and join them together; reinsert lines in their
5. Verify that both blood warmer connections are secure, and that all tubing is routed
properly and is free of kinks.
Prime PRISMA Set/Extension Line
1. Complete the instructions on the PRISMA Connect Lines to Solutions screen; press the
PRIME softkey to start priming the PRISMA Set and Prismatherm II Extention Line.
2. When automatic priming is finished, the Priming Complete screen appears on the PRISMA
Control Unit. Do the following:
Use the MANUAL PRIME softkey to continue priming for 1 (one) minute more.
If complete repriming is needed, use the REPRIME key.
CAUTION: Check the priming solution bag for adequate amount of solution. If necessary,
connect a new bag of priming solution to the PRISMA Set.
1. Plug the Prismatherm II Blood Warmer into the electrical outlet.
2. Turn the warmer ON (press Power button on control panel).
3. Select the desired warmer temperature (use Temperature Select buttons).
4. Start the Heater (press Heater Start button).
5. Operate the PRISMA System per standard procedures.
1. Turn OFF the blood warmer (press and hold Power button until green Power and Heater
lights go out and orange light illuminates).
2. Remove the return line from the return line clamp and air bubble detector; remove the return
line pressure pod from its holder.
3. Place the blood warmer in the LOAD position and remove the thermal sleeve.
4. Remove the Prismatherm II Extension Line from the front tubing holder and unwind from
the grooves, ending by removing the extension line from rear tubing holder.
5. Follow the Remove Set instructions on the PRISMA Control Unit. Remove set with the
Extension Line ATTACHED.
6. Place the thermal sleeve back on the blood warmer and place the warmer in the transport
10810 West Collins Avenue
Lakewood, CO 80215-4439
800-525-2623 or 303-232-6800
visit us at www.usa-gambro.com
Caution: Federal Law (USA) restricts this device to sale, by or on the order of a physician.
Read Instruction for Use prior to patient application.
Trademarks used herein are owned by or licensed to Gambro, Inc.
©January 2002 Gambro Renal Products, Inc. Printed in the USA 306175-037 Rev. B