Introduction to Enteral Feeding
and the Kangaroo™ Joey
Enteral is a term used to describe the
intestines or other portions of the
• Total Parental Nutrition (IV) vs EN-gut still
• Liquid Diet-when the gut works use it
• Naso vs PEG
Indications for Enteral feeding
Why Use Enteral Feeding Pumps?
• Short Bowel Disease
• Inflammatory Bowel
• Cancers-Mouth, Throat
Entriflex Naso Gastric Feeding
GiEntri Salem Sump
Skin Level Device F&B’s
*Data on file
Regimens for enteral feeding
• Pumps can administer enteral feeds by continuous,
intermittent or bolus methods
– CONTINUOUS: feeding for 24hrs continuously by either
gravity drip or most commonly feeding pump
– INTERMITTENT: feeding is stopped for 4-16hour period
either during day or night; delivery by feeding pump or
– BOLUS: rapid delivery of a prescribed volume over a
time period of 15-60mins by syringe or feeding pump
Goals of Enteral feeding
• Prolong life
• Improve patient comfort-discharge from
• Prevent nutritional decline and consequences
• Benefit must outweigh burden
• Cost is approx $20 a day-hardware is less than
A long history in Enteral Feeding..
Kangaroo PET 2100
Programmable flushing &
E-Technology Feeding Pumps
Features of the Pump:
Paediatric & adult use
“ATM-style” ease of operation
“Smart” pump set technology
Anti-free-flow pump sets
Programmable flushing capabilities
Feeding history up to 72 hours
DEHP-free pump sets
Kangaroo™ Joey Specifications
The Anatomy of a KANGAROO Joey
Set (Feed Only)
Wraps around the rotor of
the feeding pump
Automatic identification of the type
of set loaded to the pump.
Single Ring – Feed Only Set
Double Ring – Feed and Flush Set
• KTO ( Keep Tube Open) function:
240mins on hold before alarming.
KTO is designed to minimise feed blockages by allowing
minute amount of feed to flow at intervals.
• HOLD Function:
Maximum period of ‘Hold’ 10mins before alarming.
• Flush Now
A flush can be immediately delivered at the touch of a
• Clear Volume Fed : Clears the volume that is
displayed on the screen
• Adjust Settings: Access Prime Pump / Adjust Feed
• Resume in (30 minutes no alarm)
• History: Holds up to 72 hours of feed history
(cannot be cleared)
• General Cleaning Directions
A mild detergent should be used for general cleaning.
For disinfection a 10% hypochlorite solution, isopropyl
alcohol or Ammonium Chloride based solutions may be
used. Allow excess moisture to evaporate from the
cord prior to use of A/C Power Adapter.
• Lock Screen:
To lock the screen, use the following procedure while
the pump is in RUNNING mode:
Press and hold the third button from the top (with
padlock next to it) for at least 4 seconds, and then
To unlock the screen, use the same procedure above.
• 25ml rinsing flush will automatically be
delivered at end of the last feeding session.
• This flush will be delivered as long as one
programmed flush has occurred, whether by
interval or by use of ‘Flush Now’ feature.
• 25ml rinsing flush will not be delivered if no
flushing is programmed.
• Quick reference user guide
• Joey resource booklets
• Interactive training site