Operation and Service Manual
300 Watt Xenon Light Source
TABLE OF CONTENTS
Table of Symbols
Set Up and Inspection Before Use
Indication For Use
Xenon Lamp Module Replacement
Replacement Parts and Accessories
Optional Floor Stand Assembly
Maintenance and Cleaning
Repair and Return
TABLE OF SYMBOLS
Found on Light Source
Attention: Consult Accompanying
Type CF Equipment
Caution: High Voltage
Meets requirements of the
Medical Device Directive
Listed by CSA
“ PRODUCT VIEWS”
• The user of this product should be thoroughly familiar in the set-up, use and care of this product.
• The user should carefully study the Operation and Service Manual before using the equipment in the clinical
environment. Instructions should be followed, with special attention given to warnings, controls and user
specifications. The Manual should be available to the appropriate personnel.
• This Manual contains information about the proper procedures for preparing this product for its use and care.
• Before every procedure, carefully inspect the Light Source to ensure it has been properly maintained and cleaned,
and that it is fully functional. DO NOT use if inspection reveals any damage such as case damage or loose
• Follow the instructions of other manufacturer’s equipment when used in conjunction with this product.
• To reduce the risk of fire and electric shock, do not expose electrical equipment to moisture. When cleaning, do
not immerse any electrical device in liquid.
• Do not use or store liquids on or above the Light Source.
• SAFETY PRECAUTIONS MUST ALWAYS BE EXERCISED WHEN USING ELECTRICAL EQUIPMENT
TO PREVENT OPERATOR/PATIENT SHOCK, FIRE HAZARD OR EQUIPMENT DAMAGE.
• All electrical equipment must be used with approved hospital grade power cords and power plugs inserted
properly into grounded AC power outlets.
• Use only fiber optic light guide cables that are approved for high intensity light output.
• Electric shock hazard. If unit is not functioning properly, DO NOT OPEN. Please refer to the Repair and
Return Section of this Manual.
• This product must be removed from the surgical field prior to the use of a defibrillator.
• The Light Source should never be used in ocular surgery or in a surgical procedure requiring direct illumination
of the eye.
• Use care not to point any light guide directly at the eye while operating the Light Source.
• The Light Source produces high intensity light. Thermal burns can result from improper use of the Light Source
or the light output of the light guide cable.
• Explosion Hazard. Do not use in the presence of flammable anesthetics, liquids, vapors, gases or dusts.
• Keep cooling vent and fans free of obstructions.
• FIRE HAZARD: DO NOT DRAPE OR COVER THE LIGHT SOURCE WHILE IT IS OPERATING.
• When Light Source is not in use, turn off the power, remove the cable or rotate light intensity wheel
counterclockwise to block light output.
• Ensure that the fiber optic light guide matches the port type to prevent damaging the optical components
of the light source. For user convenience, the light source will have either a fixed port or a turret with
labeled selectable ports.
Indication for Use
This device is designed to supply high-intensity white light to a fiber optic cable for illumination of a surgical field or other area
of examination or operation.
The light source delivers 300-Watts of cool white infrared (IR) filtered light. The lamp is housed in a lamp
module that can be easily serviced without special tools.
Set Up and Inspection Before Use
The light source comes with the power cord attached. Verify that both components are in good condition.
All fiber optic light guides should be properly cleaned and sterilized prior to first time use. See light guide
manufacturer’s manual for information.
Before turning power on the Light Source, make sure the unit is plugged into any standard 100V to 240V
47-63Hz (as appropriate) three-conductor outlet. Grounding reliability is guaranteed only when connected
to a “hospital grade” receptacle.
Allow a minimum of 2 inches (5.08 cm) clearance at the rear of the unit.
For added convenience, the lamp illuminates only when a cable is inserted in the port.
• Press the Power Switch to apply power to the Light
Source (Figure 1)
• Note: When the power switch is pressed, it
will illuminate, indicating power is on.
• Note: Lamp will not light without inserting
cable or manually moving and holding shutter
knob to left.
• Note: Ignition clicking sounds are normal.
• Manually rotate the light intensity wheel to adjust
brightness of the light.
• Counterclockwise rotation will reduce light
• Clockwise rotation will increase light output.
• Rotate Turret (if equipped) so that the desired port
is adjacent to shutter knob (Figure 2).
Light Intensity Wheel
For added convenience, the lamp illuminates only when a
cable is inserted into the port and the unit is turned on.
Light Intensity Wheel
• To insert cable:
• Move light intensity wheel to closed position.
• Manually move shutter knob (see Figure 1) to the
• Insert cable and release knob.
• Rotate light intensity knob to desired brightness.
• When finished using the Light Source, press the power
switch again to turn off the unit.
• Note: Verify fiber optic light guide end fitting
matches with selected port before inserting.
XENON LAMP MODULE REPLACEMENT
Note: Please adhere to appropriate safety precautions when performing lamp replacement. Only qualified
personnel should service this device. Protective facemask and/or proper safety glasses should be
worn when replacing lamp module. Before changing the lamp module, turn power off and allow
the Light Source to cool for at least fifteen (15) minutes.
Please read and comply with all precautions listed in the General Warnings section of this manual.
1. Make sure power switch is turned off.
Disconnect the power cord from the receptacle.
2. Remove retaining screws. If lost, replace with
6-32 x 5/16 button head cap screws.
3. Grasp fabric shroud at finger grooves and pull up.
Module will lift out of light source. See Figure 2.
4. Remove visible dust accumulation from fan and
1. Grasp fabric shroud by finger grooves.
2. Orient lamp to face forward.
3. Lower module into light source. See Figure 3.
4. Use rear lamp guide and groove on lamp base to align
5. Press module firmly into place to seat securely.
6. Replace lamp access door and 4 screws.
7. Plug cord back in. Turn on power switch to verify
To replace the fuse:
The fuse for the Light Source is located in the power entry
module in the rear of the unit.
• Remove the power cord by unscrewing the cord lock
from the back of the Light Source with a small
• Unplug the cord from the unit (Figure 4).
• Using the small flat screwdriver, pry open the retaining
door and pry out the red plastic block from the power
entry module (Figure 5).
• Check to see if the fuse is blown, then replace with fuse
of the same rating (Luxtec P/N 600987, or T6.3AL250 ).
• Replace the red block in the housing.
• Snap the retaining door in place.
• Plug cord back into Light Source and retest the unit.
If unit now works, replace the cord lock with screws
previously removed to secure cord to unit.
REPLACEMENT PARTS AND ACCESSORIES
To place an order, contact your local Luxtec distributor or call Luxtec Customer Service at 800-325-8966
(USA & Canada only) or 508-835-9700 to identify your local distributor.
00-LX300-W 300 Watt Xenon Light Source with Wolf port only
300 Watt Xenon Light Source with 1 Turret (ACMI, Wolf, Storz and Olympus)
Lamp and Accessories
Pre-assembled Lamp Module
Lamp Access Door
Other Replacement Parts
Power Supply, 300 Watt Xenon
Fuse 6.3 Amp, Slow Blow
Power Entry Module
Operating and Service Manual LX300
AX-1370-BIF Headlight system: Headband with UltraLite 2 bifurcated cable and UltraLite module
AX-1380-BIF Headlight system: Sweatband with UltraLite 2 bifurcated cable and UltraLite module
OPTIONAL FLOOR STAND ASSEMBLY
Mounting the LX300 to a Floorstand
Open the interlocking adapter on the swivel top base by pulling down on the plunger and sliding the lever to
the “open” position as labeled. See Figure 6. The swivel top base is now ready to receive the Light Source.
1. Place Light Source horizontally on the floor stand base (Luxtec florrstand P/N 00-1400) so that its front
edge contacts the the rim of the base. Verify that all rubber feet of the Light Source are positioned on
2. Slide the interlocking adapter plate to the lock position. The plate plunger will snap into the locked
position as shown in Figure 7. You will hear a click sound to indicate interlocking plate adapter has
3. Check the rear of the Light Source to be sure the floorstand plate engages the opening on the back of the
light source and is secure.
Interlocking adapter plate
Interlocking adapter plate (rear)
MAINTENANCE AND CLEANING
If the Light Source does not operate properly when connected to a grounded receptacle, check the
fuse. Do not attempt to repair the unit if the lamp fails in use. Turn off the unit and allow it to cool
for at least 15 minutes, then try to restart the unit. If the lamp still fails to illuminate, the lamp may
need to be replaced or there is a power failure. Try replacing the lamp module. If you still
experience difficulties, return the unit to Luxtec or an authorized distributor for evaluation.
Allow unit to cool for at least 15 minutes prior to cleaning.
The Light Source exterior can be cleaned and disinfected using 70% isopropyl alcohol. Unplug the
power cord before cleaning. Allow 5 minutes for alcohol to evaporate before reconnecting to
Use a vacuum cleaner and a soft brush to remove visible dust accumulation from fan and vent holes
whenever necessary and always when replacing the lamp.
No light output
Light source not turned on
Cable not fully seated
Turn power on
Open shutter and fully insert cable
Check lamp seating/replace lamp
Rotate light intensity wheel to increase
Rotate turret to desired adapter fitting
Check for air flow obstruction and
proper vent clearance. Allow the unit to
Light intensity wheel is in closed
Reduced light output
Cable mismatched to turret
Light intensity wheel mispositioned
Rotate turret to matching adapter fitting
Rotate light intensity wheel
Replace lamp module
Light source not plugged in
Access cover not closed
Plug in Light Source
Close and secure lamp access cover
Replace fuse as indicated in
Xenon Short Arc Lamp
>6000 Kelvin, IR Filtered
650 Hours, Prorated per Hour
12 ½”L x 4½”W x 8”H
(317mm L x 114mm W x 203mm H)
13 lbs. 6oz ( 6.1kg)
100~240V - 50/60Hz
Fuse 6.3A 250V
450 Watts (Maximum)
AC Power Leakage
Leakage current to chassis (with ground wire
intact), less than 100 microamps
Leakage current to chassis (with ground wire
interrupted), less than 500 microamps
Type CF, Class 1 Device
CSA listed, Conforms to UL 60601-1 and
CSA C22.2 NO. 601.1
5°C to 40°C / 0°C to 50°C
Power Factor Correction
This light source is not intented to be connected to
a public mains network. Therefore, this device is
not power factor corrected.
G R E E N Y E LLO W
B LA C K
FAN FAN +
B LU E
N .O . (2 )
B LU E
B LU E
B LU E
Luxtec warrants that the new LX300 shall be free from defects in material and workmanship under
normal use and service for a period of three (3) years from the date of shipment from Luxtec.
Luxtec’s sole and exclusive liability under the warranty shall be, at Luxtec’s option, either to repair
any component which fails during the warranty period due to any defect in workmanship or
material F.O.B. factory if:
1. Customer promptly reports such defect to Luxtec in writing,
2. If requested by Luxtec, customer returns equipment to Luxtec with shipping charges and,
3. Upon inspection, Luxtec finds the equipment to be defective.
This warranty is contingent upon normal and proper use of the equipment. It does not cover
equipment that has been modified with non-Luxtec parts without the written approval of Luxtec,
subjected to unusual physical or electrical stress, or damaged during shipment. This warranty is
non-transferable unless authorized in writing by Luxtec.
Luxtec reserves the right to make design changes on its products without liability to incorporate
said change in Luxtec products previously designed or sold.
Upon receipt of the product, it should be carefully inspected. If any defect is discovered,
notification must be given immediately to the manufacturer or authorized distributor.
REPAIR AND RETURN
This device must be clean and decontaminated prior to return to Luxtec. Luxtec reserves
the right to return unrepaired any equipment that is contaminated with blood or other
Warranty Service and Repair:
To obtain service under warranty or return product for repair, the customer should contact
your local Luxtec distributor or call Luxtec Customer Service at (800)325-8966 or
Information contained in this manual is subject to change without notice.
Luxtec Corporation declares that this product meets the
Essential Requirements specified in Annex 1
of the Medical Device Directive (MDD).
99 Hartwell Street • West Boylston • MA, 01583 • USA
Telephone: (800) 325-8966 (USA & Canada) or (508) 835-9700 •
Fax: (508) 835-9976 • email: email@example.com