© ORMED 6/04
O R M E D G m b H & C o . K G • M e r z h a u s e r S t r a ß e 112 • D - 7 910 0 F r e i b u r g Phone +49 7 61 4566-01 • Fax +49 761 4566-5501 • www.ormed.de • E-Mail: [email protected] ormed.de St. Paul/USA, Phone +1 800 4402784, Fax +1 651 4157405 • Prague/CR, Phone +420 2 84094650, Fax +420 2 84094660 • Vienna/A, Tel +43 1 53 20 83 40, Fax +43 1 53 20 83 431 DIN EN 13485
ORMED Nr. 018 829-01
Fold out this page
Knob for femur length adjustment
Socket for power adapter
Knurled knob for rotating foot plate
Lower leg patient kit
Knee pivot point
Thigh patient kit
Knurled knob for length adjustment of lower leg
Knurled knob for angle of foot inclination
Footplate with patient kit
1. How to use ARTROMOT®- K3
1. How to use ARTROMOT®-K3 1.1. Application 1.2. Objectives of therapy 1.3. Indications
4 4 4 4
2. Description of the ARTROMOT®- K3
3. Safety instructions
4. Adjusting the device 4.1 Connecting the device 4.2. Adjusting the femur length 4.3. Adjusting the supports
7 7 7 7
8 8 8 8 9
Setting the treatment values 5.1. Programming the ARTROMOT®-K3 5.1.1. Programming the treatment values 5.1.2. Information about treatment values 5.1.3. Programming the special functions
The ARTROMOT®-K3 is a motoroperated motion device used for Continuous Passive Motion (CPM) of the knee and hip joints.
The ARTROMOT®-K3 CPM device is indicated in the treatment of most injuries, postoperative states and diseases of the knee and hip joint. For example:
Suitable for use in hospitals, clinics, general practices and rental services, it is an important supplement to medical and therapeutic treatment.
- joint distorsions and contusions - arthrotomy and arthroscopy procedures in combination with synovectomy, arthrolysis or other intra articular measures
1.2. Objectives of therapy
- mobilizations of joints in narcosis - operative treatments on fractures, pseudarthrosis and inversion operations
CPM therapy with ARTROMOT®-K3 is mainly used in the avoidance of immobilization injuries, the early re-establishment of painless movement of joints and the promotion of faster healing with a positive functional result.
Other objectives of therapy include:
- the improvement of joint metabolism
- criciate ligament replacement surgery (ACL/PCL) - endoprothetic implants
- the prevention of joint stiffness 9. Declaration of conformity
The ARTROMOT®-K3 should not be used with:
- the promotion of the healing of cartilage areas and damaged ligaments
- acute inflammatory processes in the joint area, if not explicitly prescribed by the doctor - spastic paralysis
- the speeding up of haematoma resorbtion - the improvement of lymph and blood circulation
- unstable osteosynthesis
- the prevention of thrombosis and embolism
Movement should not cause any pain
2. Description of the ARTROMOT®- K3 The ARTROMOT®-K3 CPM device allows extension and flexion of the knee joint in the range of –5-0-110 degrees. There is no need to convert the device when switching from the right to left side (or vice versa).
Explanation of functioning elements
Note: Fold out page 1
The ARTROMOT®-K3 features a hand-held programming unit that can be used to program and store any treatment values.
3. Safety instructions
these instructions must be read before start- up!
Knob for femur length adjustment
1. Femur length
Hand-held programming unit
2. knee joint axis
Knob for length adjustment of lower leg
Knob for angle adjustment of foot inclination
- Perform regular checks on all components for possible damage or loose connections - Damaged or worn parts should be replaced immediately with original spare parts by an authorized specialist.
- In case of patients who are adipose, particular large or very small, you should pay attention to the following:
- Before cleaning and repair disconnect the device from the main socket.
- Avoid abrasion and pressure - If necessary support the leg in a slightly abductive position
11 Socket for power adapter
- Movement must always be free of pain and irritation
14 Lower leg patient kit
- Repair and maintenance work may only be carried out by authorized persons, as otherwise all warranty services and liabilities shall be void.
3. calf length and leg rotation setting 4. patient kits
- The maximum continuous load on the leg support element is 30 kg
13 Kit straps
- Only connect the ARTROMOT®-K3 to correctly installed safety sockets.
- The ARTROMOT®-K3 may only be operated by authorized persons. - Make sure that the patient is supported in an anatomically correct way. Check the following settings/ positioning:
10 Foot plate with patient kit
12 Knob for rotation footplate
- Make sure that the characteristic values of your power supply correspond to the voltage and frequency data indicated on the ID plate.
- When carrying out any work on the device, never allow liquids to get inside the housing or the hand-held programming unit. - Only use the AC-AC adapter supplied with the unit.
- The patient must be fully conscious during instruction and when using the splint.
CAUTION! The ARTROMOT®-K3 may only be operated with the attached power supply NTEV20
- The doctor or therapist must decide on a case-to-case basis wether the device can be used with the patient
15 Knee pivot point 16 Thigh patient kit
Explanation of symbols
To disconnect the device from mains, unplug the AC-AC adapter from the wall socket.
CAUTION! Before treatment begins, a test run involving several movement cycles should be carried out first without and then with the patient.
Alternating current Protective system Type B Power off
- The hand-held programming unit should be explained to the patient and must be located within the patient´s reach, so that the therapy can be interrupted if necessary.
Power on Device off Device on
4. Adjusting the device
5. Setting the treatment values
Note: Fold out pages 1 and 17 To get a better understanding of the individual steps.
4.3. Adjusting the patient kit - Fix patient kit (14) for the lower leg and patient kit (16) for the upper leg by using the velcro tapes. (figure 6 and figure 7)
4.1. Connecting the device
- Control correct adjustment. Exercise only in painfree range of motion. Patient should be positioned with maximum comfort.
- Connect the power adapter (7) to a safety socket (120 Volt, 60 Hertz) - Turn on the device with the main switch (8)
2. You can now select the treatment values in succession by pressing the parameter keys.
5.1. Programming the ARTROMOT®-K3
3. Change the value by pressing the +/- keys.
The following treatment values can be stored by means of the hand-held programming unit. (5)
4. Continue programming (with 2 and 3) until all required values are entered.
- Knee extension
5. Press the STOP key to save all previous values.
- Knee flexion
6. Press START button: programmed values were checked automatically.
- Pause extension
7. Press START button again to start the device in therapy mode.
- Pause flexion - Force
4.2. Adjusting the femur length
CAUTION! The knee and hip axis of the ARTROMOT®-K3 should align with the patients knee and hip axis (Figure 8) After adjustments have been made, perform several test runs. When correctly adjusted, there should be no excursion of the knee and hip joint during motion.
Set the device at a knee-angle position that is not likely to cause the patient any pain. Positioning the upper leg - Open the black knurled knob (1), and move thigh support to the desired length (figure 2)
Fig. 1 Buttons to choose the parameters: Extension Flexion Pause Extension Pause Flexion
Positioning the lower leg
- Loosen the two knobs (6), move the foot support horizontally and adjust precisely to the patients lower leg length. (figure 3)
8. Pressing the parameter buttons in stop mode the display shows the current stored values.
5.1.2. Information about treatment values
Display STOP START
Setting the range of motion ROM
- Maximun knee extension: -5 degrees
- Maximum knee flexion: 110 degrees
Positioning of foot dorsi- / plantar flexion
The programmed value and the actual angle measured at the patient´s knee may vary.
5.1.1. Programming the treatment values
- Loosen the two knobs (9) and adjust the foot plate at a comfortable angle. (figure 4)
The criterion for correct adjustment is that it should be possible to move the extremity without pain or irritation.
IMPORTANT: It is possible to program single or all parameters. If only some parameters were changed, the other parameters will be saved with current settings.
Positioning of foot rotation - Loosen the knurled knob (12) and move the foot plate into the required rotation position. (figure 5)
Adjusting the pauses - The pauses occur in the final position of extension or flexion and can be set separately for extension and flexion.
1. Pressing the Extension and STOP keys at the same time for one second or holding down the STOP key for five seconds enables you to change to programming mode. 7
- Possible values for pauses: 0 – 30 seconds 8
Adjusting the force (reverse on load)
- Minimum setting for reverse on load: 25 kp
Warm-up allows the patient to attain gradually full programmed range of motion. The device starts in the middle between the two values set for extension and flexion. With each movement cycle the extent of movement is increased by 2 degrees until the set value is reached. The device then moves between these values.
- Maximum setting for reverse on load: 45 kp Settings are approximate! Tensile force is measured on the frame around the foot. The input setting determines the maximum resistance needed to automatically reverse the direction of motion.
Full speed & motion The full speed & motion function is only for service. The device runs at twice the maximum programmable speed to facilitate a rapid device set up.
CAUTION! The reverse circuit is purely a safety measure for cramps, spasms, locked joints, etc. The manufacturer accepts no liability if used improperly.
WARNING: Do not run the device in full speed & motion when patient is in the device!
Speed Minimum setting for speed: 1%
Maximum setting for speed: 100%
This is the individual run time for each treatment. To reset press SET key in the programming mode.
5.1.3. Programming the special functions
- Always unplug the device before cleaning - The ARTROMOT®-K3 can be wiped clean with disinfectant and therefore complies with the required standards of hygiene for medical equipment. - The housing can be cleaned using commonly available disinfectants and mild household detergents. - The device itself should only be wiped down with damp cloth.
115/230V~ 50/60Hz 15V/27VA
Safety transformer EN 60742
36.6 inches/93 cm
14 inches/36 cm
16.53 inches without foot plate/43 cm
Length adjustment for lower leg 16.7 inches/42,5 cm (approximate length) – 22 inches/56 cm
Never allow liquids to get inside the housing or hand-held programming unit.
Length adjustment for upper leg 2.75 inches/7 cm (approximate length)
- The plastics used are not resistant to mineral acids, formic acid, phenol, cresol, oxidizing or strong organic and inorganic acids with a pH value of less than 4.
24.4 lb./ 11.8 kg
Steel: 1.4301; 1.4305; 1.4310 Aluminium: AlMg3; AlCuMgPb F38, Brass Synthetic material: PA6.6; Polystyrol PVC; PE 1000; FR4 Electronic board; Polyurethane; rubber Support: synthetic fleece (Polyester)
- Protect the device from intensive ultraviolet radiation (sunlight)
Device run time Special functions are: The total device run time is counted from the first usage of the device. Press + button for 5 seconds until setting appears. Device run time cannot be deleted.
- Center warm-up - Full speed & motion (double speed setting) - Runtime (patient runtime) - Device runtime
Save data Programming the special functions: 1. Switch to programming mode (section 5.1.1)
To save the programmed special functions, press the STOP key. Press the START key: the device checks programmed values.
2. Press FUNC key 3. Select special functions using + or – key
Surrounding Conditions Surrounding temperature -11O F to +140OF Relative humidity 20% to 85% Air pressure 700hPa to 1060 hPa
Technical data subject to change
Operational Conditions Surrounding temperature +50O F to +104OF Relative humidity 30% to 75% Air pressure 700hPa to 1060 hPa
4. Follow the instructions on the display 5. Quit and save with STOP button
NTEV20 Safety Transformer In: 115/230V ~ 50/60 HZ 27VA Out: 15V ~ 1.33A Manufacturer: Ulmer
If you have any questions regarding product or service, please do not hesitate to contact us: ORMED international Please contact your local dealer or
To avoid transport damages, use only the original packing boxes. These boxes can be ordered from Ormed. Before carrying the device, always make sure the femur length adjustment is locked.
Headquarters Germany ORMED GmbH & Co. KG Merzhauser Straße 112 D-79100 Freiburg, Germany Tel. +49 761 4566-281 Fax +49 761 4566-55281 e-mail: [email protected]
Maintenance: Not necessary
USA, St. Paul Tel. 1 800 440-2784 Fax 1 651 415-7414 e-mail: [email protected]
Guarantee: 2 years warranty on mechanical and electronical parts
Czech Republic, Prague Tel. 420 2 84094650 Fax 420 2 84094660 e-mail: [email protected]
Manufacturer: ORMED GmbH & Co. KG Merzhauser Straße 112 D-79100 Freiburg, Germany
Internet: www.ormed.de e-mail: [email protected] www.ormedusa.com
Technical hotline: Do you have any technical questions? Do you need technical service? Tel. +49 +49 Fax +49 +49
180 180 180 180
51 51 53 53
ormed.de 676 333 ormed.de 676 333
CAUTION! Carry out regular checks at short intervals for possible damage and loose connections. Damaged or worn parts should be replaced immediately with original spare parts by an authorized specialist.
Declaration of Conformity According to the EC-Regulation for medical devices the EC Medical Devices Directive (MDD) 93/42/EEC dated 14th June 1993, appendix 2
The Manufacturer ORMED GmbH & Co. KG Merzhauser Straße 112 D-79100 Freiburg herewith declares that the following units Knee & Hip ARTROMOT®-K3
meets all requirements of following EC-directives: EN 60 601-1
Electrical Medical Devices, Part 1, Basic Rules for Safety
EN 60 601-2
Electrical Medical Devices, Part 1 and 2, additional norm: electromagnetic compatibility – requirements and testing The adherence to the standard specifications entitles to marking of these devices with CE 0297.
Freiburg, January 20, 2002 Quality Control Manager
Figures Fig. 2
Fold out this page