Welch Allyn Braun ThermoScan® PRO 4000 Thermometer
Thermometer and Dock Cleaning Instructions
DATE: December 12, 2011
Braun ThermoScan® PRO 4000 thermometer and dock cleaning instructions
FROM: Howard Higgins, Global Category Manager
1. Welch Allyn recommended cleaning and disinfecting options for the Braun ThermoScan® PRO
4000 Ear Thermometer.
For the speculum tip, clean with 70% or stronger isopropyl alcohol only, using a Q-tip or equivalent.
To clean the window, gently wipe its surface with a cotton swab slightly moistened with alcohol and
immediately wipe dry with a clean cotton swab. After cleaning, allow at least 5 minutes drying time
before taking temperatures. Avoid touching the window except when cleaning is required. Note: Do
not use any chemical other than alcohol to clean the probe window.
For the remaining surfaces, use a soft cloth slightly moistened with isopropyl alcohol, 10% chlorine
bleach, or standard hospital disinfectants such as CaviCide®. Disinfectants should be applied to
the cloth to wipe down the unit, wringing out any excess moisture so that the cloth does not drip
into the unit. Disinfectants should never be sprayed directly on the device.
2. Instructions for cleaning electrical contacts of the Braun ThermoScan® PRO 4000 to improve
the charging and communication performance between the thermometer and charging dock:
The charging dock, rechargeable battery and thermometer electrical contacts need to be cleaned
regularly. This should be done every 3 months or any time the charging or communication
performance between the thermometer and dock becomes erratic. For example, if the Braun
thermometer fails to transfer a reading or exhibits incomplete charging, the contacts should be
inspected and cleaned as instructed in this document. Note that the electrical contacts may not
look dirty, but still can have contamination that will prevent the device from working correctly.
All of the contacts should be cleaned using a cotton swab slightly dampened with isopropyl alcohol.
1) Clean the two contacts on the end of the thermometer:
Braun external contact view.
2) Remove the battery pack. Clean the two battery contacts (springs) inside the
Braun internal battery contact view.
3) Clean the two battery contacts (buttons) on the rechargeable battery pack:
Rechargeable battery pack view.
4) Clean the two contacts on the device dock:
Base station dock view.
Spot LXi dock view.
- Note that docks of other devices are similar.
- Cleaning the contacts regularly will ensure that the device performs as expected.