Operating & Safety Instructions
Disposable Hydrophobic/Bacterial Filter, 99.9% effective against 0.6 micron particles. 63 mm Diameter. Theatre High & Standard High: 0 to -100 kPa Low: 0 to -25 kPa Tolerance: +/- 5%
Performance Theatre High Suction Models: Range: Free Air Flow rates: Standard High Suction Models: Range: Free Air Flow rates: Standard Low Suction Models: Range: Free Air Flow: Suction Jar (Oxylitre): Capacity: Overflow Protection: Sterilisation:
0 to 620mmHg (82 kPa) 40 to 45 Lpm
ESS Series Mobile Electrical Suction Unit
0 to 620mmHg (82 kPa) 20 to 25 Lpm
Operating & Safety Instructions
0 to 150mmHg (20 kPa) 20 to 25 Lpm 2000ml Float Valve Shut Off Autoclaveable to 134 °C (see Doc-OP-4403)
10. Electrical Specification Motor: Standard Supply Voltage: Fuse type: Capacitor: Electrical Protection, all models:
Standard High & Low Models Enclosed/Fan Cooled 240 volts ac. 50/60Hz 1 Ph 240 volts ac. (T) 1 amp 127 Watts. Class 1 Type B = i) ii)
Theatre High Models Enclosed/Fan Cooled 240 volts ac. 50/60 Hz.1 Ph 240 volts ac. (T) 2 amp 170 Watts
This Equipment provides a degree of protection against electric shock particularly regarding :Allowable LEAKAGE CURRENT Reliability of the protective earth connections
11.Dimensions Single Unit: Height: 840mm Width: 400mm Depth: 350mm Weight: 13.0kg
Twin Unit: Height: 840mm Width: 400mm Depth: 350mm Weight: 13.2kg
12. GMDN 36777 General-purpose suction system, electric 44943 Suction system canister, reusable
Manufactured by: Oxylitre Limited Morton House Skerton Road Old Trafford Manchester M16 0WJ England
Tel: Fax: email:
(0)161 872 6322 (0)161 848 7914 [email protected]
Doc Ref: Issue No: Date:
Doc No: Doc-OP-4611 Issue No: 6.1 Date Issue: 15.4.11
The Oxylitre ESS Series Mobile Suction unit has been designed for use within most types of Healthcare environments. Suction units are available in adjustable Theatre High Vacuum - High Flow, Standard High Vacuum - High Flow and Low Vacuum - High Flow models. The units come complete with a choice of single or twin, 2 litre capacity Jar(s) and the Jar type is available in either the Oxylitre reusable/Autoclaveable, Hospira ® “Receptal” , VacSax or Serres disposable liner type units. (Please Note: This product is not suitable for Field or Transport use).
2. Specifications The Oxylitre ESS Series Mobile Suction unit complies with the BS EN ISO 10079-1: Medical suction equipment – Part 1: Electrically powered suction equipment – Safety requirements. Electrical The Suction unit is 240v AC mains operated. The product is a Class 1 Type B Electrical Medical Device and complies with EN 60601-1: Medical electrical equipment. General requirements for safety. Hydrophobic/Bacterial Filtration Each unit is fitted with a Hydrophobic/Bacterial Filter. The Filter Element is 99.99% effective that provides an effective barrier against contamination and protection to the environment. The Filter also protects the Suction unit by preventing any moisture or fluid passing through. Overflow Protection The Oxylitre Receiver Jar has a protective overflow Float Assembly. In the event of over filling the Receiver Jar whilst aspirating, the Float Valve assembly will automatically shut off the suction supply. This will prevent contamination to the Suction unit. In the event where an Overflow Protection device has failed the Hydrophobic Filter will chemically react and will shut off the Vacuum supply. In this event the mains supply to the Suction unit must be turned off immediately. ® Hospira Receptal/VacSax /Serres Receiver Jars ® The Hospira, VacSax and Serres Receiver Jars are for Disposable Liners only. Use only Disposable Liners with Hydrophobic Filters. Receiver Jars must be used in accordance with the manufacturer’s instructions. Please Note: Oxylitre Ltd cannot accept any liability in the event of an overflow to a unit when a Hospira “Receptal”, VacSax® or Serres System is being used.
3. Safety Precautions (see also Transit Bolt Instructions Doc-OP-4612)
Upon receipt of your new Mobile Suction unit, check for any damage, breakages or damaged tubing that may cause the unit to fail when operated. Remove the two Transit Bolts situated in base of unit and replace with plastic plugs provided (retain Transit Bolts for future use – see 4a below). b. Please avoid using the Suction unit near other types of electrical equipment which may be affected by or which radiates electromagnetic interferences. c. Do not use any flammable agents near the equipment. Warning: Electrical Safety. DO NOT remove or open any panels of the Electrical Suction unit for any reason. If the unit fails to operate you MUST contact the Oxylitre Service Department for service recommendations. The panels on the product must only be opened by an Oxylitre Service Engineer or by qualified personnel.
4. Transport & Storage a. During transportation (especially by Post or Carrier), you MUST ensure that the equipment is well packed and protected, with Transit Bolts in place. Oxylitre will not be liable for any damage to the equipment. b. Always handle this equipment with care. This is a vital piece of medical equipment. c. When transporting/storing this equipment always keep in an upright position. d. Always transport & store the equipment within in a dry environment. Keep away from excessive heat or dampness.
5. Operating Instructions a. Please Note: the equipment is NOT suitable for continuous drainage. b. Before use, ensure that your new Suction unit’s Rocker Switch is in the “OFF” position, before you plug the unit into the mains supply. c. Ensure the Receiver Jar “Float Assembly” is operational. (The Float should move up/down freely). Inspect all Receiver Jar components and accompanying Tubing for wear or damage. Always replace worn or damaged components.
Connect the supplied Suction Connecting Tube to the “Patient” Inlet on the Receiver Jar Lid and then connect the required Catheter to the male end of the Suction Connection Tube. If required, place Anti-frothing agent into the Receiver Jar (please use any Anti-frothing agent in accordance to the manufacturers instructions). Insert the plug into the mains supply socket. Switch ON “O” the Green Rocker Switch to start the unit. The green neon switch will illuminate when the pump is running. Adjustment for the required suction is effective by the suction Control Valve. To increase the Suction, turn the Control Valve clockwise. To decrease the required suction, turn the Control Valve anti-clockwise. With the “Patient” Connector on the Jar Lid occluded, the Vacuum Gauge will give an accurate indication of the suction being applied. Aspiration should be stopped when fluid has reached the top graduation. In the event of an accidental overflow, the Float Valve will operate shutting off the vacuum supply to the Receiver Jar. When the Jar is full, pull out the male adapter probe from the top of the Jar Lid and unhook the Retaining Spring Clips. Remove the Jar carefully from out of the Cradle and dispose of the contents appropriately. Also unscrew the Float assembly from the base of the Jar Lid. Both the Float assembly and the Lid must be thoroughly cleaned. Re-assemble in the reverse order.
6. Additional Controls Receiver Jar Changeover Valve (for ESS200 and ESS5200 Twin Jar Models only) The ESS200 and ESS5200 Series Mobile Suction units have a Receiver Jar Changeover Valve mounted above the two Receiver Jars on the front of the unit. If one of the Jars is becoming full during aspiration, turn the Changeover Valve towards the empty Jar, to redirect the flow. That Jar is now ready for aspiration.
7. Servicing, Preventative Maintenance & Cleaning a. b. c. d.
The Hydrophobic/Bacterial Filter should be changed after each normal days use, or immediately if wetted/ contaminated. Decontaminate (or replace as necessary) the “Suction Connecting Tube” after each use. Use standard cleaning agents/detergents (e.g. Dettol) when cleaning the unit and Receiver Jar components. N.B. All traces of cleaning agents must be removed before autoclaving the Jar. The Oxylitre Receiver Jar, Jar Lid, Sealing Ring, Float Assembly & Seal are autoclaveable to 134°C (see DocOp 4403). To ensure the quality and performance, this product should be serviced frequently (at least annually) by qualified/Oxylitre Service Engineer. Please contact our Service department for details. Each unit comes complete with a Manufacturer’s 7 year Warranty.
Note: Do NOT use any alkaline or amine based agents on Receiver Jar components.
8. Replacement Parts a. b. c. d. e. f. g. h.
Suction Tubing with Male Tapered Connector: Suction Tube: Hydrophobic/Bacterial Filter: Suction Connecting Tube 1.8 m: Suction Jar Lid: Lid Sealing Ring: Float Assembly: Suction Jar:
Ref: S75251 Ref: VAC201* Ref: S750 (Pack of 30) Ref: 180FFM Ref: S7520 Ref: S6190 Ref: S7130 Ref: S6100
Please Note: Always use Oxylitre replacements parts or CE marked products. (Also see “Oxylitre Jar Spare Parts List” on label attached to the Suction unit. *Contains Phthalates).
9. Technical Data Specifications: The ESS Series Mobile Electrical Suction unit has been designed in accordance with EN ISO 10079-1. Electrical Specifications comply with: EN 60601-1. Suction Units Equipment: ESS Series Mobile Electrical Suction unit. Types: i. Theatre High Vacuum/High Flow. ii. High Vacuum/High Flow iii. Low Vacuum/High Flow.